Helbling has been retained by a repeat client, a leading Mid-Atlantic healthcare system, to secure an Assistant Director of Technical Services (AD) to serve as a key member of its Facilities Management Division.
The AD will oversee a team of roughly 70 staff members, and they will be responsible for developing Mechanical/Electrical departmental policies and procedures while managing their implementation in accordance with overall Facilities Management Division strategic objectives and/or initiatives. This position prepares staffing and budgetary plans; manages resources to achieve department goals; and performs general managerial duties such as supervising staff, planning, scheduling, budgeting, and data analysis. The AD will also report and perform presentations to both internal and external stakeholders.
The AD is a leadership position, and he/she will be expected to interact and build positive relationships within the department and with the Hospital administration, end-users, patients, visitors, and all other interested parties. This work is performed under the minimal supervision of the Senior Director of Facilities Engineering and Operations.
- Develops, implements, and monitors the operations and planning aspects of engineering programs budgets and schedules. Effectively uses resources under span of control.
- Develops budgets, subject to approval, for staff labor, materials, contractors, and vendors.
- Participates in the development of the operating and capital budgets.
- Approves expenditures within approved budgets.
- Monitors the fiscal aspect of staff productivity, negative time, and priorities.
- Compiles data for operational and/or project budget reports.
Authority / Decision-Making
- Develops and recommends policies to senior management.
- Develops, plans, and implements staffing patterns and priorities. Directly responsible for staffing to levels consistent with the objectives of the department and the Hospital and sufficient to complete the work programs assigned.
- Develops and implements procedures for the area of responsibility.
- Reports progress of projects and/or operations based on reports of subordinates.
- Secures resources based on departmental and Hospital guidelines.
- Develops and implements work productivity standards, work allocation, and work priorities based on departmental and Hospital objectives.
- Manages programs and/or projects within defined budgets.
- Reviews the work of and directs supervisors as required to support team effort and to ensure that their work complies with departmental and Hospital goals, standards and program budget.
- Proposes and/or develops projects or program changes based on observation and assessment of existing conditions and situations in facility.
- Interprets, reviews, and promotes institutional priorities, imperatives, and patient care initiatives.
- Directly responsible for hiring, terminating, disciplining, assigning, training, evaluating, and promoting Technical Services engineers and technicians.
- Delegates projects and tasks to support staff as needed.
- Trains staff as necessary to achieve team objectives.
- Ensures direct involvement at the appropriate juncture of certain projects, duties, or initiatives.
- Plans and directs the determination and documentation of field measurements and site conditions.
- Determines budgetary and time constraints in order to prepare plans and cost estimates and develop engineering programs and costs.
- Reads and interprets complex engineering and construction documents, service manuals, and other technical documents.
- Creates, directs the creation of, and follows complex instructions on blueprints, drawings, and oral instructions.
- Compiles, analyzes, and reports data concerning engineering staff activity/products for own purposes and for department senior management use.
- Effectively communicates (written & orally) with supervisor and departmental health system employees.
- Understands and assimilates departmental policies, procedures, and systems.