Helbling has been retained by a private research hospital in New York City to conduct an executive search for a Senior Project Manager (SPM). The Director of Capital Project Management (Director) is seeking a highly skilled individual for this role who will work under the Director to supervise and coordinate all aspects of large capital projects; including: research laboratories, major Infrastructure, and educational Initiatives.
- Coordinates and oversees various construction projects, including full gut renovations of laboratories, offices, and classrooms; cosmetic renovations of existing spaces; renovation of clinical spaces both on campus and off campus; and renovation of major infrastructure projects as identified.
- Coordinates a complex team of professional consultants, facilities team members, and numerous client groups. The candidate will have demonstrated an ability to work with project architects/ engineers, and end-users to ensure that the project meets many varied needs.
- Works collaboratively with Facilities Operations, Public Safety, Radiation Safety, Environmental Health & Safety, Data/Telephone, and Space Planning to coordinate the many stakeholders in any given project.
- Develops baseline project schedules and updates as required. Performs regular costs analyses of the project budget spend forecast at frequencies as determined/required for a particular project. The selected candidate must have the ability to recognize potential changed conditions, problems, and out of scope items, and proactively correct as deemed appropriate per university policy.
- Assesses/negotiates/manages contract change orders to ensure project schedules and budgets are not adversely affected.
- Prepares standard contracts for architectural, engineering, and construction services, and will be responsible to coordinate on-site activities of general contractors and/or construction managers.
- Prepares requisitions and purchase orders, and keeps current on invoices for payment.
- Oversees the preparation of bid documents and manages the process using the university's bidding policies.
- Develops and manages budgets and schedules for all aspects of projects including: design, construction, relocations, furniture procurement and installation, and move-Ins.
- Ensures that all field procedures and safety protocols are being met on each job site. The candidate will create a record keeping system of hard and electronic files for all project related correspondence, contracts, drawings, specifications, and other documents.
- Mentors and manages team members, and develops client relationships on one or more projects and fosters strong teamwork. The SPM may also have supervisory responsibilities over assistant project managers, field engineer(s), project engineer(s), and in some instances, other CPM project manager(s) assigned to a given project.