Helbling is representing Pine Street Inn, a non-profit community-service organization, in securing a Director of Facilities & Capital Planning (Director). Reporting to the Vice President of Operations, the Director provides direction and implementation support for Pine Street Inn’s $5M portfolio of 24/7 operational services that includes capital projects, facilities management, housekeeping, fleet services, and related facilities job-training programs. The Director focuses these operational services on providing both quality and cost-effective support to Pine Street Inn’s 2,000 daily guests and residents and 500 employees.
The Director leads Pine Street’s facilities and housekeeping services that cover more than 800,000SF of real estate across 80 locations, including, emergency shelters, 40-plus congregate housing sites ranging from 4 to 50 units, individual apartments leased throughout the Greater Boston area and administrative offices. He/she provides leadership and support to six direct reports, who collectively manage approximately 45 staff members, and numerous contractors, consultants, and vendors. The Director also serves as the primary point of contact for facilities-related regulators including the City of Boston’s Fire, Police, Inspectional Services, Public Health, and Neighborhood Development departments and their agents; and the Commonwealth of Massachusetts Housing and Community Development, Public Health; and Mental Health departments.
Serving as a member of Pine Street Inn’s Program Working Group, the Director works closely with other key departments to deliver highly efficient, cost-conscious services that are sensitive to the physical and emotional well-being of Pine Street Inn clients, staff, and neighbors.
- Exemplifies strong core ethics, integrity, and accountability consistent with Pine Street Inn’s mission, vision, and values.
- Aligns and leads self and facilities and capital planning staff towards Pine Street’s mission, vision, values, strategic plan, and annual operational and financial plans.
- Develops strong positive relationships with outside partners, such as regulators, contractors and local and consultants to ensure successful accomplishment of projects and initiatives.
- Identifies internal and external customer expectations and exceeds them.
- Sees beyond the present, and adapts to meet changing goals and priorities.
- Promotes a high performance culture.
- Leads in a manner that is diplomatic, inclusive, transparent, communicative, open, and fair.
- Thrives while managing multiple simultaneous projects with little room for error.
- Contributes to the delivery of operational objectives by reducing facility costs and improving productivity, and providing a safe and efficient working and living environment for staff and guests.
- Continually improves guest, tenant, and staff experience through facilities management functions.
- Ensures buildings, campuses, life-safety protocols, sanitation, transportation, and health procedures are in full compliance with all local, state, and federal regulations and insurance requirements.
- Communicates operational objectives and plans to facilities staff, and ensures plans and polices are consistently implemented.
- Provides stable and consistent on-site management for direct reports.
- Serves as a reliable and upbeat colleague in collaborative efforts to achieve the agency’s annual goals and objectives.
- Provides on-site crisis management as necessary during facilities, weather, and other emergencies.
- Leads, manages, supports, and retains staff who work directly with individuals with untreated mental illness and substance abuse issues.
- Undertakes other duties and/or assignments as assigned by the Vice President of Operations, Chief Program Officer, or President & Executive Director.
Facilities and Capital Planning
- Directs approved capital planning projects with completion on time and under budget.
- Directs implementation and continuous improvement of facilities, capital, and housekeeping work, resulting in high-quality, efficient, and cost-effective delivery of services.
- Supports the Vice President for Operations in the long-range facilities planning.
- Directs efforts to maintain physical facilities in a safe and secure condition.
- Directs energy conservation and recycling initiatives.
- Achieves annual financial objectives by maximizing the organization’s operational assets and preserving capital investments.
- With guidance from the Vice President of Operations, implements and manages facilities and capital planning budgets, monitors expenditures, and controls costs.
- With support from the Finance department and Vice President for Operations, implements bidding, selection, and management of key facilities contracts to maximize quality services and contain costs.
- Supports the development of state contracts and private fundraising efforts lead by other Pine Street departments.