Auburn University, a repeat client, has retained Helbling to secure a Director, Campus Services (Director). Reporting to the Executive Director, Facilities Operations, the Director manages the daily operations of the Campus Services department within Facilities Management building custodial services, contract services, pest control services, waste management and recycling, service support, classroom building management, mail services, landscape services, and special events set-up and take-down.
The position of Director is a key role due to Auburn University’s continued commitment to further sophisticate and build collaboration throughout Facilities Management to serve the needs of its clients at a world-class level. The position requires an individual who exudes excitement about working in and promoting a team environment to move the organization forward. In return, Auburn provides the resources and support for its employees to be highly successful.
- Manages budgetary activities, and oversees cost accounting and funds expenditures for Campus Services Operations.
- Provides technical knowledge, expertise, and directions to various departmental employees for the more difficult tasks and projects.
- Plans and develops long- and short-term departmental goals; plans activities and projects.
- Prepares and approves contract bids and orders that meet the contractors’ requirements.
- Oversees contract services such as custodial management, waste/recycling management, and pest control.
- Coordinates with facility supervisors for set up and break down of special events.
- Coordinates with project managers on new or renovated buildings to determine requirements and priorities and to ensure they are properly equipped as specified by Dean, faculty, department head, and/or others as appropriate.
- Provides staffing data/input for new and renovated buildings.
- Establishes appropriate policies and procedures that maintain strong customer relationships and deliver quality services with a high level of customer satisfaction.
The Director has full supervisory responsibility and leads, directs, and supervises the personnel of the Auburn University Campus Services Directorate totaling 160 employees. The Director directly manages 2 Assistant Directors, Campus Services, 1 Contract Services Manager, and 1 Administrative Support Specialist. Indirectly, the Director manages the following:
- Custodial Services – Staff of 40 including 1 Supervisor, 2 Assistant Supervisors, 5 Floor-Care Technicians.
- Mail Services – Staff of 10 including 1 Manager.
- Waste Reduction & Recycling – Staff of 8 including 1 Manager and 1 Supervisor.
- Administration – Staff of 4 including 1 Director, 2 Assistant Directors, and 1 Administrative Assistant.
- Materials Management – Staff of 10 including 1 Manager, 1 Assistant Manager, 1 Administrative Assistant, and 7 Inventory Clerks.
- Work Management – Staff of 4 including 1 Supervisor and 3 Administrative Support Assistants.
- Service Support – Staff of 4 including 1 Supervisor, 1 Working Assistant Supervisor, and 2 Technicians.
- Landscape Services – Staff of 45 including 1 Superintendent, 6 Supervisors, 1 Arborist, and 37 Groundskeepers.
- Contract Services – Staff of 3 including 1 Manager and 2 Contract Specialists.
Auburn University was established in 1856 as the East Alabama Male College. In 1960, the school was officially renamed Auburn University. Today, Auburn encompasses over 1,800 acres and has a total of 427 buildings. The University has a combination of modern buildings, historic landmarks, and landscaping that is well known in the region for its visual appeal.
Auburn University consists of 13 colleges with more than 140 majors from which students can choose. Auburn University has approximately 27,000 students enrolled in undergraduate, graduate, and professional programs.
The Auburn region consists of safe, affordable neighborhoods; high quality schools systems; and various outdoor activities. Auburn is approximately a two hour drive from Atlanta and Birmingham and a three hour drive from the beaches of the gulf coast.