Helbling has been retained by a repeat client, a higher education institution in Massachusetts, to conduct an executive search to secure a Director of Systems Engineering (Director). Reporting to the Director, Maintenance & Utilities, the Director provides overall direction to the Facilities Department’s Systems Engineering Group. This person will be responsible for all engineering services required of the department including supporting Capital Projects, Campus Construction, Comprehensive Stewardship Group, and Repair & Maintenance. The position will represent the institution and the department with clients, and outside engineering firms as necessary to address important internal or external challenges. This individual must have capability of focusing on the global picture and direction while understanding and monitoring the everyday details.
- Directs a current staff of approximately ten (10) engineers, program specialists, technicians, and support staff in the review and execution of engineering requirements of Facilities Department. Position must continually assess department’s individual and overall workload and adjust accordingly. Directs and manages the System Engineering Group and is accountable for the accomplishment of engineering program responsibilities.
- Systems Engineering Group will be the prime advocate / representative of the engineering interests, issues, and concerns of the operations and maintenance teams in the development / scoping of capital and renovation projects. This position will provide the technical leadership role in assuring a cooperative teamwork approach to the design, construction, and turnover process of construction and renovation projects. Group shall work closely with the departments commissioning and turnover team.
- Responsible for the Systems Engineering Group which provides technical support and guidance to operations and maintenance teams in the execution of their tasks including development of maintenance plans, evaluating service contract performances, and in the support and execution of maintenance projects and/or troubleshooting / diagnosis of facilitating operations.
- Plays an integral role in both the selection process and the quality control of the design and construction contracts with architects, consultants, engineers, and construction managers for the development of all required construction documents. Participates in the evaluation of outside architect / engineering services. Participates in and supports the Construction QA / QC of all capital, renovation, and renewal projects.
- Provides overall technical leadership and management of the Department of Facilities GHG reduction program including measurements, identification of opportunities, technical review of candidates, approval of new initiatives, and verification of results.
- Manages all aspects of building-related engineering work for the Department of Facilities, and coordinates with utilities-related engineering being performed by the Utilities group.
- Provides technical and engineering advice and support to the Environment, Health and Safety Office, and to the Sustainability and Planning offices.
- Provides technical expertise and leadership to engineering staff in performance / execution of their assignments.
- Represents the Director, Maintenance & Utilities and the institution at conferences. Maintains contact and professional relationships with senior officials of other universities and representatives of technical organizations, professional groups and societies, leaders of architectural / engineering firms, building contractors and associations, local officials, and regulatory organizations. Has authority to speak for the Director, Maintenance & Utilities with such organizations.
- Evaluates team member’s performance, recommends staffing levels, works with Facilities Human Resources on all training requirements for staff, and acts on personnel issues as necessary.
- Provides overall strategic view of engineering systems and its processes.