Helbling is representing an independent school in Massachusetts in conducting an executive search to secure a Senior Director of Facilities Management & Planning who will lead all physical planning (including developing design standards and leading space planning efforts), new construction and renovation, and the efficient operation and maintenance of campus buildings and grounds. This position works directly for the Chief Financial Officer and works closely with the Head of School, Human Resources, Director of Athletics, Dean of Faculty, Dean of Students, Academic Dean, Director of Auxiliary Program and others to meet the school’s day to day operational needs and support the overall mission of the school.
- Leads the development of strategies related to physical facilities operations and maintenance, including the landscape, buildings, utility infrastructure, and central utility plant, as well as overseeing sustainability and environmental health and safety.
- As the department’s lead planner, designs and leads a sustained planning function in the department and for the campus, establishes design guidelines, produces and updates long-range plans, including the financial plans to support them – and regularly monitors those plans during implementation through to completion.
- Sets standards and provides leadership for the facilities department to ensure proper functioning, superior condition, and aesthetic excellence of the campus.
- Develops and manages strategic partnerships to deliver campus renewal and evaluates optimal delivery methods for both capital renewal and facilities operations initiatives.
- Utilizes her/his knowledge of the regulatory environment required for the physical plant, including construction permitting requirements, workplace safety requirements, and environmental regulations.
- Oversees the Director of Facilities’ management of the day-to-day operations and maintenance of the campus, including custodial services, maintenance services (the trade shops), the central utility plant, grounds, and motor pool. Establishes and monitors performance targets for operational effectiveness, financial efficiency, and continuous improvement.
- Oversees the analysis, development, implementation, and monitoring of all facilities budgets, including operations, maintenance, and capital projects budgets, ensuring that the department is delivering services in the most cost-effective way. Delivers facilities’ budget targets and agreed financial performance objectives.
- Delivers new construction and renovation projects that accomplish the agreed program and scope within, or below, budget and on schedule, with a level of quality that meets standards and enhances the campus.
- Develops, builds support for, and executes a plan to address deferred maintenance and implement a comprehensive planned and preventive maintenance program.
- Proactively identifies and pursues new methods for delivering services at lower cost. Enhances the cost-effectiveness and efficiency of the entire facilities management department and its operations. Builds a culture that seeks out new ways of achieving objectives at lower total cost and with greater efficiency. Reliably delivers (or comes in under) agreed-upon operating and capital budgets. Strengthens the department’s procurement and supplier management processes and procedures.
- Fosters effective communication and collaboration within the Facilities department. Strengthens management and development of the entire department. Better leverages technology, knowledge, and process management.
- Works with the CFO to prepare and present board materials as needed.
- Serves as contact person for emergency situations occurring on campus.