Helbling has been retained by a regional construction management and general contractor to conduct an executive search to secure a Senior Preconstruction Manager (SPM) who will be responsible for providing leadership in the Preconstruction phase of projects to assure success. The SPM is expected to provide direction and assistance to the Preconstruction team with respect to contracting, scheduling, estimating, and bidding while coordinating with the Operations Manager or Division Manager (DM) on team assignments. He/she will manage large, complex, specialized, projects and be skilled at delegating and managing other Preconstruction staff.
- Promotes the growth and development of client and designer relationships.
- Represents the company in such a manner that enhances the reputation of the firm.
- Initiates and maintains liaison with client and architect and/or engineer contacts to facilitate successful project execution.
- Attends client-initiated meetings and ceremonial events as well as maintains regular contact to ensure their satisfaction with ongoing projects for marketing purposes.
- Seeks and identifies new work opportunities and informs the DM and Business Development of potential projects with current and potential new clients.
- Regularly participates in presentations to secure new work.
- Actively participates in industry-related organizations to network and promote the interests of the company.
- Arranges and attends other networking and client development functions as approved by the DM.
- Exhibits behavior regarding safety that demonstrates the commitment to return all workers home safely each and every day.
Contracts & Risk
- Assures that estimates, including general conditions, are accurate and complete and reflect the actual requirements of the project. This includes assuring that there are an adequate number of qualified and financially sound subcontractor proposals received and evaluated.
- Assures that potential risk factors have been evaluated and reviewed with senior management (i.e. contract bond authorization, contract review, insurance review, etc.)
- Assists the Director of Preconstruction Services in maintaining subcontractor evaluations utilizing the financial review form provided by the Risk Management department.
- Reviews subcontracts and major purchase orders, prior to issuance to the subcontractor, for compliance with the documents and the estimate.
- Proactively identifies and solves problems to minimize risk.
- Prepares detailed estimates (conceptual, schematic, design development, construction). Assembles estimates including general conditions, special conditions, insurance, and bonds. Prepares and analyzes cost models during the design development and/or bidding period. Creates subcontractor/material supplier bid lists.
- Assists the Preconstruction Manager, Assistant Preconstruction Manager, and Estimating Engineer in the solicitation of subcontractor/material suppliers. In the absence of those team members, takes the lead in the solicitation process to ensure proper bid coverage.
- Prepares bid packages, obtains bids from subcontractors and material vendors, and analyzes bids from subcontractors and material vendors.
- Assures that an adequate and proper number of documents are available for estimating projects. Coordinates the assembly of the preconstruction material for presentation purposes to the owner (i.e. design development estimates or Guaranteed Maximum Price (“GMP”) booklets, etc.).
- Demonstrates and applies strong working knowledge of material unit costs, systems square foot costs, and total building square foot costs.
- Stays current on changes and trends in methods of construction and materials, construction costs, wage rates, fringes, and working rules.
- Identifies and qualifies new material suppliers and subcontractors, and enters them into subcontractor database.
- Assists the Director of Preconstruction Services in the development of long range goals, objectives, and strategies for the Preconstruction department.
- Plans and leads the Preconstruction strategy meeting on the approach to the project or estimate. Coordinates, manages, and supervises the work of subordinate preconstruction members and support staff.
- Coordinates and assures that a preliminary construction schedule has been developed for each estimate.
- Organizes and leads the transition meeting between the project operations team and the preconstruction team and coordinates the follow-up meetings.
- Visits ongoing projects to verify status of estimate versus project status, meets with the project operations team, and views work in place for experience and comparison to the estimate.
- Remains familiar with all policies and processes as it relates to this position.
- Takes an active role in the Personal Development Plan process to develop and mentor subordinates towards a successful career with the company.
- Provides monthly cost projections for all active preconstruction assignments and manages Preconstruction department budgets.
- Has a firm understanding of the bid/GMP process as it relates to company financial success. Understand the metrics of determining the value of each “deal”.
- Leads bid day strategy and the final decision-making on profit percentage.