Helbling is representing a long-term client, a real estate developer, in conducting an executive search to secure a Managing Director, Global Operations & Engineering (MD). The MD will lead the company’s engineering and technical operations domestically and globally. Based in New York City, he/she will report directly to the Senior Managing Director of Global Property Management and serve as a key member of the company’s executive team. The MD will be the company’s internal expert, department leader, and go-to problem solver for all technical and engineering services for the infrastructure, HVAC, and critical systems needs for existing assets and new developments. Along with having first-class technical expertise, the MD will also need to be an adept leader and manager who can work well up, down, and laterally within the organization while also managing external relationships with vendors, contractors, and consultants.
- Oversees the technical operations and engineering globally for existing assets, including the buildings’ HVAC, electrical distribution, plumbing, building envelope, elevators, environmental, fire and life safety, and energy conservation systems.
- Reviews construction documents and specifications for new projects and major renovations, and provides input on operational issues to the design and construction team as needed.
- Oversees MEP space repositioning and plans reviews for new developments, renovation projects, and capital improvement projects.
- Provides global support for master planning; utilities, mechanical, and electrical design criteria; and vertical transportation and environmental issues for the development of new buildings and redevelopment of existing buildings.
- Troubleshoots critical issues that arise within the global portfolio as a true internal consultant.
- Analyzes the energy consumed by global portfolio and works closely with procurement and sustainability to oversee energy procurement.
- Reviews and approves the annual capital budgets and re-forecasts globally.
- Manages union negotiations for engineering staff for the United States.
- Oversees all 3rd party service providers and vendors, including negotiating the scope of service contracts, implementing standard operating procedures (SOP’s) across all regions, ensuring compliance with company policies and standards.
- Manages the contractor bidding process (creating RFP’s, and overseeing prequalification and contractor selection).
- Provides leadership and creates a work culture with local and regional engineering and operations teams to identify opportunities for strategic and creative improvements.
- Works with senior leadership and business unit leaders to make strategic and technical project recommendations and provides follow-through to completion.
- Oversees the performance and development of the operations and engineering teams to ensure proper skill sets are aligned with specific facility needs. Ensures that all technical staff receives adequate testing and training to assure relevant competencies for delivery of services.
- Manages programs aimed to ensure safety and compliance with national, state, and local codes and regulations.